Many golfers work on perfecting the golf swing with hours of time on the driving range. A few lucky golfers have putting ranges in their backyards to improve their short games. However, the best golfers know that a good score doesn’t just rely on physical ability and precision shots. Having the right golfing mindset is just as important in achieving their goals, including new personal bests and tournament wins.
What does it mean to have the right golfing mindset?
- Focus and concentration. Successful golfers are able to tune out all other distractions and place 100% of their attention on the shot in front of them. Today, distractions can include cell phone messages, incomplete work on-the-job, previous arguments with a co-worker or neighbor, financial struggles, or any of an endless list of things. The best way to develop this kind of focus is through practice. Some players participate in meditation, while others establish strict rules for themselves, like not bringing their phones onto the golf course.
- Sense of calm. A game of golf can become incredibly frustrating after one bad swing lands the ball into a sand pit or pond. Stress and tension can decrease focus, result in rigid muscles, and decrease motivation. The best golfers don’t become agitated or angry. Instead, they keep their emotions in check, stay calm, and focus on the next best play in the game.
- Confidence. Without confidence, players are left second-guessing their decision about clubs, they may play too conservatively, or they may give up too quickly and stop putting in the effort to finish the game strong. Confident players trust in their ability. They know they’ve practiced their skills, and they are well aware of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Optimism. Being optimistic is often related to having confidence. Optimistic individuals focus on the things that are going well and believe they can overcome challenges. They are less likely to get in a rut because the weather isn’t quite right or there are too many players on the course. Instead, they take it all in stride and focus on doing their best in the games.
- Mental Imagery. Great golfers have a knack for being able to imagine what the next best play will be. They have an inner sense of being able to feel the swing in their minds and sense where the ball will travel. These golfers can also evaluate the hole, and determine which set of plays will most efficiently get the ball to the target.
Can anyone achieve the right golfing mindset?
Absolutely. Getting yourself into and maintaining the right golfing mindset is simply a matter of creating new habits. In the beginning, it’s important to remind yourself of these behaviors regularly and why each is important to your game. Setting goals to participate in activities that strengthen these behaviors will help solidify them in your mind. The more you practice each of these skills, the more automatic and natural they will become to you.
Are you seeking help to improve your game?
Our staff at the Eagle Point Golf Club is invested in your success. We want you to enjoy every game and achieve your improvement goals. A great way to learn new skills is by scheduling time to meet with our coaching staff. In fact, why not start off the new year with a new set of golfing goals, a set of lessons, and a plan for regular practice? Call us at (541) 826-8225 to schedule everything you need to advance to the next level in the coming year.