The game of golf is easy enough: use one or more clubs to hit a ball into a designated hole. However, the reality of doing this with consistent efficiency is challenging for even the most experienced on the course. Many people spend a lifetime trying to perfect their skills and lower their scores. However, there are a few key strategies of great golfers that everyone can implement immediately. By using these tips, your performance will improve and you’ll be better prepared to use all the technical skills you’ve accumulated thus far in your game.
- Stay positive. Great golfers know the importance of managing the mental stressors of the game. All the practice in the world won’t help you if you become frustrated or angry at yourself. All golfers have bad swings or deal with bunker shots from time to time. However, the best deal with these challenges with a positive attitude and maintain good focus and concentration. By doing so, they are able to leverage their abilities to get back on course and continue playing competitively.
- Develop the short game. Most golfers spend hours taking lessons to practice their swings. In fact, if you look for golf tips online, most of those will be focused on the drive. Yes, it’s important to get a good drive down the fairway to line up your next shot, but it’s equally important to be able to putt the ball well once you’re near the hole. Great golfers spend a lot of time evaluating the greens and practicing various putting techniques.
- Create a routine. One skill that players of all sports develop is sticking to a routine. This helps the player remain focused and optimize the skills they’ve practiced time and time again. Great golfers do the same thing. The routine should get the golfer focused and prepared for their best shots.
- Know the capabilities of the clubs. Great golfers know how far they can hit the ball with each of the clubs in their bag. They will be able to quickly assess the best club to get the distance they need from each swing. As you’re figuring this out, keep in mind that a box of new golf balls will generally go further than the worn-out balls on the driving range.
- Be honest with yourself. Continuous improvement is a key ingredient for successful golfing. Great golfers take an honest assessment of their skills and determine where they need to improve. They are focused on achieving the performance they desire by taking lessons and participating in intense practice.
To learn more strategies of great golfers, contact our Eagle Point Golf Club Academy.
We encourage our members and guests at the Eagle Point Golf Club to take advantage of personalized tune-up sessions. These mini-lessons are designed to help golfers warm-up and fine-tune a handful of skills before hitting the greens. During a session, we’ll start by introducing you to some easy warm-up exercises designed to achieve balance and alignment on the course.
Next, one of our professional trainers will observe your swing in a few different scenarios. We’ll pinpoint specific issues getting in the way of your game, such as aligning the perfect swing on the chipping green. Next, we’ll introduce a few simple exercises for you to practice to perfect your short game. By targeting just a couple of critical items, you’ll be headed to your game in no time with a manageable number of techniques to put into practice.
If you’re ready to take your game to the next level, call the Eagle Point Golf Club at 541-826-8225 to inquire about golf lessons. We’re excited to see your game improve!